Pray to the Moon when She is round,
Luck with you will then abound,
What you seek for shall be found
On the sea or solid ground.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Transforming "Spiritual Warfare": Day 7 (Wyoming)

Vedauwoo Rocks in winter. Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons.


Forgive me for being tangential today. In my pursuit of the perfect fungus to serve as sentry for the wonderful state of Wyoming (it was my favourite state as a child), I discovered images of a mushroom-shaped hoodoo (I love hoodoos) that I wanted to use as a focal point. Then I discovered it was located in a place called Vedauwoo -- an area of rocky & outcrops & hoodoos near Laramie. I became enamoured with this place I have never been & being tangential by nature, I needed to see more. 

Vertical dance performance, Vedauwoo. @ WikiCommons.
In my enthusiastic pursuit, I came across an amazing artistic effort at the University of Wyoming: the Vertical Dance Program. Each year, this dance department puts on a performance atop & suspended from the rocks at Vedauwoo. Each production combines an indigenous tale with live music & rock-hopping dance. Awesome. How awesome? Awesome enough to make me forget about the crazies & their prayer war.

So let us all rest today & get a nice dose of uplifting artistic inspiration. Wyoming is a tough land filled with wild & independent folk. I think it can take the prayerstorm & then some. If you wish, meditate on the freedom & creative autonomy these dancers express or, reflect on the messages left by the ancestors in these stories. Today & every day, may liberty prevail.

A montage of the last 10 years of performances:


A nice segment of story from 2009:


And if you really want to be awestruck (& have some time on your hands) this is so lovely...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...