Pray to the Moon when She is round,
Luck with you will then abound,
What you seek for shall be found
On the sea or solid ground.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Transforming "Spiritual Warfare": Day 21 (Wisconsin)

Fighting Bob LaFollette. Photo found at Fuck Yeah Wisconsin.
Fighting Bob LaFollette. Photo found at Fuck Yeah Wisconsin.
“Let no man think we can deny civil liberty to others and retain it for ourselves" ~ Fighting Bob LaFollette
Laetiporus sulphureus. Sulphur shelf, sulphur polypore, chicken-of-the-woods. An abundant, beloved (just look at all the recipes) Wisconsin saprophyte. I entreat this fungus, showy & outspoken, not unlike the fondly remembered former Senator. May his words not be forgotten:

“We have long rested comfortably in this country upon the assumption that because our form of government was democratic, it was therefore automatically producing democratic results... We are slow to realize that democracy is a life; and involves continual struggle. It is only as those of every generation who love democracy resist with all their might the encroachments of its enemies that the ideals of representative government can even be nearly approximated.”
I have met this polypore in person. It is a sight to see. In fact, when I first saw it I thought myself quite mad --its blaze of colour is peerless & beyond belief. Much to my chagrin, I cannot find my own Laetiporus sulphureus images, perhaps they are in Utah. I am most thankful to the Wikimedia Commons for the use of theirs:



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...