Pray to the Moon when She is round,
Luck with you will then abound,
What you seek for shall be found
On the sea or solid ground.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Tender Ritual

Back in college, my "baby Pagan" days,  I had the good fortune of having a friend who was a perfect guide for me; erudite & sophisticated beyond her years. One of her gifts to me was to teach me to look at the (neo)Pagan books judiciously. She also gave me excellent recommendations, among them was a book written by a friend of hers, Celebrating Life, by Tzipora Klein (now Tzipora Katz). I still have it & still love it for its tenderness.
My son & I recently wrote a thank you letter to Tzipora for writing her book filled with beauty & in particular, for gifting us with the ritual of 'giving a star' at bedtime. In turn, we received a very gentle & gracious response. In her letter, Tzipora shared that she still gives her (now adult) children a star from time to time & she even uses it to comfort friends during trying times. This simple ritual is so powerful & as she described it, "timeless," that I would like to share it with you.
With your fingertip, trace a star on your loved one's forehead. As you draw, say, "This is a star to wish upon,"
Then, trace a circle around the star, saying "The Sun, to brighten your path."
Next, draw a crescent, horns up, above the circle & say, "The Moon to sing to,"
Finally, kiss your fingertip & press it to the centre of the star while you say, "Goddess give you sweet dreams."
The final line can be changed to reflect the circumstances, of course. You may even choose to use the name of a patron or other specific deity. In whatever manner it is used, it has a deeply soothing, nurturing effect. It is simple, beautiful, heartfelt & works wonders. I am blessed to be able to share it with you, may it give you & your loved ones the same comfort & joy as it has given me & mine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what a beautiful ritual - thank you for sharing :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...