Pray to the Moon when She is round,
Luck with you will then abound,
What you seek for shall be found
On the sea or solid ground.

Friday, March 4, 2016

Nyx Scraps: Installment II


It seems that my devotional pages -- "NYX, Νύξ, Nox: Primordial Mother" in particular -- have some benefit to people out there in the ether. Although I choose not to sculpt my writing to the tastes of others, I do maintain as part of my mission to promote human relationships with the Old Ones. So here I announce new additions to the Nyx page with updates to Hypnos & the Oneiroi to follow in subsequent days.

I am uncertain how I overlooked posting this version of the Orphic Hymn #3 to Nyx. This translation, by Apostolos N. Athanassakis is by far my favourite & is the one I use when I read Her hymn.


I shall sing of Night, Mother of gods and men.
Night- and let us call her Kypris- gave birth to all.
Hearken, O blessed goddess, jet-black and star-lit,
Whose delight is in quiet and slumber-filled serenity.
Cheerful and delightsome, O mother of dreams, you love the nightlong revel,
And your gentleness rids of cares, and offers respite from toil.
Giver of sleep, beloved of all you are, as you drive your steeds and gleam in darkness.
Ever incomplete, now terrestrial and now again celestial,
You circle around in pursuit of sprightly phantoms,
You force light into the nether world, and again you flee into Hades.
Dreadful Necessity governs all things.
But now, O blessed one, yea beatific and desired by all,
I call on you to grant a kind ear to my voice of supplication,
And benevolent, come to disperse fears that glisten in the dark.

-- Orphic Hymn #3 To Nyx, Translated by Apostolos N. Athanassakis, 1977


More works for the visually inclined:
(Note: while I prefer more the more traditional renderings of Nyx, I am slowly discovering & including nontraditional pieces which I feel honour Her in a manner fitting Her distinction.)



Allegoria de la Nit Artist uncertain. Palau de Cervelló, ballroom ceiling.
Allegoria de la Nit
Artist uncertain.
Palau de Cervelló, ballroom ceiling.
Wikicommons image edited by Moma Fauna.


Allegory of Night Joachim von Sandrart, German, circa 1654-1656 Oil on canvas. Vienna, Austria, Kunsthistorisches Museum.
Allegory of Night
Joachim von Sandrart, German, circa 1654-1656
Oil on canvas.
Vienna, Austria, Kunsthistorisches Museum.


Noc Edward Okuń, Polish, 1903 From the Polish publication, Chimera.
Noc
Edward Okuń, Polish, 1903
From the Polish publication, Chimera.


Caption: THE MOTHER THEN WRUNG HER HANDS, WEPT, AND SANG.
Helen Stratton, British Illustrator, (1867–1961)
"...sing me all the songs you used to sing your child.
I am fond of those songs. I have heard them before.
I am Night; and I saw your tears flowing while you sang them.
"
From The Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen, courtesy WikiSource.


Allegory of Night Paul Aichele, German, 1859-1910 Bronze & marble.
Allegory of Night
Paul Aichele, German, 1859-1910
Bronze & marble.
Figure sold at auction via liveauctioneers.com.


Night Cesare Lapini, Italian, 1898 White marble. Night Cesare Lapini, Italian, 1898 White marble.
Night
Cesare Lapini, Italian, 1898
White marble.
Figure sold at auction via liveauctioneers.com.



The Night Natalia Drepina, Russia.
The Night
Natalia Drepina, Russia.
Purchase a print at the artist's DeviantArt page.


Nyx, Goddess of Night Yoann Lossel, France.
Nyx, Goddess of Night
Yoann Lossel, France.
Visit the artist's DeviantArt, Blog or Etsy pages.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...