Pray to the Moon when She is round,
Luck with you will then abound,
What you seek for shall be found
On the sea or solid ground.

Friday, May 18, 2012

For the Files: Love A Tree Day Children's Ceremony

World Tree © Bryan Perrin
World Tree(s), by friend & kindred spirit Bryan Perrin.

The Wee Ones & I tried out our own rendition of the Love a Tree Day for our "Reinvented Wheel." It seems with the children it is best to keep it simple & meaningful. So, in some haste, I came up with a rhyme we could say as we fed each of our trees (the shrubs got some too). I wanted to be sure to save it here for following years, although I confess, the rhyme could use some re-working to make it flow more smoothly. But, what can one expect from a rhyme composed in the car en route to a T-Ball game?

Since we have some saplings, some medium sized trees & a couple of very large, old trees, we adjusted the words to fit them more personally, alluding to the future/potential of our younger trees & speaking to the past/present with the larger, older trees.

While pouring food, we addressed each tree:

Great Old Tree, Great Old Tree,
Thanks for all you give to me,
Under thee,
The shade is free,
Here we'll ever happy be.

(Substitute "Middlin' Tree" & "Little Tree" for Great Old Tree. Adjustment for future tense of saplings: "Thanks for all you'll give to me... the shade will be free.")

Part of me wants to add more to the rhyme, but I must remind myself of the limitations of the children's ability to remember all of it. Perhaps we can add more lines over the years, as the grow older & more able to memorize a longer piece.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...