Pray to the Moon when She is round,
Luck with you will then abound,
What you seek for shall be found
On the sea or solid ground.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Journey Book: Creed of Peace is the Only Beginning (Spiritual Nomad Week 2)

One of the assignments for Week Two of Dianne Sylvan's Spiritual Nomads E-Course was to acquire a book & begin collecting bits of wisdom, such as prayers & quotes, from the varied sources which touch us spiritually. There was no question in my mind what would begin my "Journey Book." The opening quote shall be the Creed of Peace, written by Ralph Maxwell Lewis, former imperator (from 1939 to 1987) of the Rosicrucian Order, A.M.O.R.C. I was a member of the Order for a couple of years before wandering off to Vermont to get distracted by other pursuits, but sometimes I think perhaps I should return to those studies.

I have quite a few of Frater Lewis's books as well as a handful of meditation & lecture audiotapes narrated in his tranquil, thoughtful voice. In my opinion, none of his many wise writings match this piece in importance or elegance. I very clearly recall the first time I read the Creed of Peace. It was printed, arbitrarily it seemed, at the end of one of the lessons & it reached into my psyche like a revelation. I have never forgotten it & it is one of those messages that I have returned to again & again over the many years, miles & transitions. It is a work that never loses relevance, which speaks volumes & resonates ever after. It would be superfluous for me to expound any further upon something so fundamental, so I will simply present it here to speak for itself. 



Creed of Peace
I am guilty of war when I proudly exercise my intelligence to the disadvantage of my fellow man.   
I am guilty of war when I distort other's opinions, which differ from my own.  
I am guilty of war when I show disregard for the rights and properties of others.   
I am guilty of war when I covet what another has honestly acquired.   
I am guilty of war when I seek to maintain my superiority of position by depriving others of their opportunity of advancement.   
I am guilty of war if I imagine my kin and myself to be a privileged people.  
I am guilty of war if I believe a heritage entitles me to monopolize resources of nature.   
I am guilty of war when I believe other people must think and live as I do.   
I am guilty of war when I make success in life solely dependent upon power, fame, and riches.   
I am guilty of war when I think the minds of people should be regulated by force, rather than by reason.   
I am guilty of war when I believe the God I conceive is the one others must accept.   
I am guilty of war when I think that a land of a man's birth must necessarily be the place of his livelihood. 


"The true articles of peace cannot be legislated but are drawn up in the personal aspirations and conduct of the millions of little people. When all men will frankly perceive their common dependence, an understanding will emerge that will transcend the barriers of time and space, creed and race." - Ralph M. Lewis F.R.C.


In case you are someone who absorbs words better with your ears, below is a narrated presentation of Lewis's Creed of Peace created by the Rosicrucian Order, A.M.O.R.C. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...