Pray to the Moon when She is round,
Luck with you will then abound,
What you seek for shall be found
On the sea or solid ground.

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thoughts While Packing (Again): The Spellwork Debate

A Scene of Sorcery, from "Japan and the Japanese Illustrated" 1874. Courtesy WikiCommons.


Spellwork. The day-to-day, pragmatic kind -- the kind intended to lubricate the wheels of daily life, to smooth the road, to ease worries, quell petty concerns -- the subject of hundreds of do-it-yourself occult books & websites... to do, or not to do? I have been having this debate with myself for years & years. It is very annoying because I think spellwork is a fine thing to practice. I just find that while I am utterly fascinated by it, I almost never do it. Instead, I engage myself in an ongoing, highly unproductive discourse as to why. 

In the abstract, I have no issues with the morality of magick (or prayer) for personal benefit or gain. I very much enjoy reading & learning about the diversity of methods cross-culturally, from historical records to modern day. I even get a kick out of creating them; researching, writing, combining correspondences, timing, etc. I guess the problem must be that I consider magick serious business. I too often feel like small concerns are just that -- too minor to bother with magick. The same goes for prayers, entreaties, supplications or whatever moniker you apply to that sort of thing.

Or maybe I make it too complicated. 

Either that or I am just too lazy. 

So, here I am again, packing to move -- for the fourth time since March. Actually, I never got to pack for the first move since it was straight to the hospital & then into the nearby charitable housing. After a month, we moved back home (with oodles of medical equipment). Later, when The Changeling received the green light to board an airplane, I packed for Alaska. Then, certain flaky friends with whom we co-habitated decided they needed our half of the house for elderly parents coming in from Norway for a visit. Fine. So we packed (& moved) again. They asked us to come back, but we weren't bloody well going move again... or so we thought. Now, we are packing up & moving for about ten days -- before we move once more -- because someone is going to take this apartment on the 1st & our flight to our winter home isn't until the 7th. So, that makes five moves since March (or six, if you count packing up & leaving our one-month hospital home). 

The rich bit 'o irony here is that we are renting & bouncing around because there is no availability in the apartment building that we actually own. Just dandy, no?

I was standing in the shower two days into the packing, washing off all the sweat from the night before & grumbling to myself about the whole situation when it occurred to me that perhaps I could have considered working a spell. A little domestic stabilizer or something of that sort. Gee, I could even have said a little prayer. Now, as I pack all our crap -- again -- I grouse to myself... "Why didn't I think of that? If I did, why didn't I do anything about it? Some practitioner I am! What the Helvella is wrong with me?" 

But this is actually a very familiar conversation. It's like having déjà vu.

Wrangling this with myself has become tiresome. So, like that little ball in Atari Pong, I am bouncing the conversation into the ether. If you are a magick user, conjurer, charm-maker, rootworker, spellworker, sorcerer, pray-er, supplicator, chanter, affirmation-murmerer, or other sort of entreat-er or make-it-happen-er... Are you like me & seem to hold out for the big stuff (like hospital stays & hurricanes) or have you figured out how to weave magick/prayer into your daily life? 

There are entire churches dedicated to praying for wealth. Not just 'enough' or even 'prosperity,' but big, fat, gushing bunches of money. I never ask for any. (I did once & got burned, but that's a story for another time.) In fact, I rarely ask for anything. Where do you draw the line? Small things, big things? Or do you draw a line at all? What sorts of things do you ask for, how much & how often? If you work with a group, what are the limits on what your group will do? Do share, this grouchy, enquiring mind wants to know. 

Now, back to the bins & boxes.


Homeward bound so soon, but feeling ready. Almost.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...