Pray to the Moon when She is round,
Luck with you will then abound,
What you seek for shall be found
On the sea or solid ground.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mystery Gift

My husband has a passion for shopping. If the shopping is obscure & bargain-priced, all the better -- he gets the thrill of the hunt & a "deal" at the same time. Beaming like a cat bringing home a bird, he presented me with this yesterday:


'Where did he score this curiosity?' you might ask. Well, rising (or sinking?) to a new level of consumerism, he scored this baby at the Anchorage Police auction. That's right, police auction. It was one of a collection of dubious articles seized by law enforcement officers during whatever happens when they seize stuff. So… what the Helen is it & what is that figure on it? I don't know. How am I going to make use of it? Well, I don't know that either, but whatever I do, it needs a thorough cleansing first because it has some seeerious juju. Assuming it can be cleaned up, I was thinking of using it as an offering dish or a plate for "cakes." But I am really wondering about the harpy-like beast -- it conjures thoughts of Lovecraft's 'Old Ones.' (Perhaps it s the facelessness of it that gives it the Cthonic feel.) I am hoping to discover that it is some inspiring, or at  the very least, interesting mythological creature or persona. Do you know what it is? Willing to chance a guess? I'll take it.

2 comments:

Nestis said...

If that is a harpy I'd be concerned with putting cakes on it if only because they're known to spoil food. It could also be a siren, sirin, or alkonost, perhaps. Really the arms and sword are throwing me, and that body, despite the feet, is more serpent/dragon-like than bird-like. Maybe a winged/footed naga? It is absolutely awesome-looking plate whatever that's supposed to be on it. What a find!

Moma Fauna said...

Yep. Well I am fearing that I am going to find it in the Goetia of some other grimoire someday.

Thank you for the input, I knew you would have some good suggestions. I am not so good with the beasts of lore -- I am much better with the beasts of the present. ;) Somewhere, in some box, I have a bestiary I really should check.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...