Pray to the Moon when She is round,
Luck with you will then abound,
What you seek for shall be found
On the sea or solid ground.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

MOMOS: More Relevant Than Ever.


"Momus," by Juan Martin.  (I cannot locate a website for this artist, although many pinterest pages show his work.  Most of his art is gay/pagan themed & would be of interest to likeminded folks.  If anyone finds his website, please message me so that I can link properly.)
"Momus," by Juan Martin.
(I cannot locate a website for this artist, although many pinterest pages show his work.
Most of his art is gay/pagan themed & would be of interest to likeminded folks.
If anyone finds his website, please message me so that I can link properly.)




Momos (Μῶμος or Momus). Much maligned child of our beloved primordial mother, Nyx.


Let's not complicate this with caveats: tyranny dislikes critics.

Momos has been framed as an "unfair" or "unreasonable" detractor, but let's look at this rationally. In an irrational world where the gods can do, create, be, destroy, employ, modify & otherwise bamboozle anything they please, is anything (particularly commentary) unfair or unreasonable?


Momos is generally overlooked by humans who seek (or even seek to chronicle) gods. But if he is known for anything, it is his admittedly harsh judgement of the gods' handiwork in Aesop's Fables. I concede that in this circumstance, he was quite rude... but we do not know the backstory.


Personally, I am more fond of his skill as the authority-needling graffiti artist: 


Excerpt from "Graffiti in Antiquity," by Peter Keegan.



There is no shock that this behavior got his ass booted from Olympus. 


It is not news that Nyx's children generally receive poor marks in the literature. I will confess that I was more than a little squeamish when She expected Her place in my cosmology because She brings with her a brood -- much maligned & sometimes malignant. 

However, Time has proven my reticence an overreaction (not unlike the booting of Momos) to what has become a relevant & needful education about Life. 


Further, humanity (or the lack thereof) has proven Momos's role as more relevant than ever. (At least for my people.) 


This is why I will be erecting a sanctum to Momos* in this journal space (watch for it to appear on the sidebar of the blog, under Nyx's gallery). It will be a safe space for our graffiti. 

Everything you wish to say about Our-State-of-Affairs will be an offering to Him. 


And I know He will relish every contrary word of it.




*Updated with link 10/12/17

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...